St Mary the Virgin
The church of St Mary was extensively rebuilt in 1861 and the churchyard contains the oldest tree in the village reputed to be over 400 years old. Field Marshall John French 1st Earl of Ypres, the commander of the British Expeditionary Force is buried in the churchyard. He was born in Ripple in Ripple Vale House in 1852.
Ripple is not and never has been a big village but it is a very ancient one and of Saxon origin. It lies 2-3 miles south west of Deal and spreads out around a cross road. There are approximately 154 properties and around 300 electors.
A cottage, once named the Dovecote bears the date of 1647 and properties in Portland Terrace in Church Lane are well over 100 years old and were originally built for farm workers. The last deveopment in the village was Sunnyside Close, built in 1960.
The village hall was first proposed in 1949 but following several set backs the deal was finally sealed on 18 February 1955.
Ripple Vale House once owned by the French family for generations has had several uses over the years, from private school, guest house, war office and has now reverted to a school where an annual Proms concert takes place in aid of local charities.
The old windmill at Ripple Mill has been lovingly restored over the last 10-15 years fulfilling the owners dream.